One of the two remaining 18th century town halls in Finland, the Old Town Hall was built in 1762–1764. The Town Hall once housed the town administration, register office, town council and guardians of the law. Museum operations were started in the building in 1896 by the Porvoo Museum Association.
The Old Town Hall is the best-known building in the Old Town, along with the Porvoo Cathedral. The Town Hall experienced its most magnificent moments in spring 1809 during the Diet of Porvoo, with the nobility and burgesses meeting on the second floor of the building.
Even though the Town Hall was later found to have construction defects, which are still shown in the slanted floor upstairs, the Porvoo Museum Association saved it from demolition and turned it into a museum.
The Old Town Hall exhibits paintings by Albert Edelfelt and Johan Knutson, sculptures by Ville Vallgren and products by the local Iris factory, including furniture designed by Louis Sparre and ceramics by A. W. Finch. Also displayed are jewellery and glassware designed by Saara Hopea-Untracht. The third floor over the museum features the Porvoo Nobility exhibition. The ground floor is taken over by the Ruling the Riversides exhibition, which relates the history of the Porvoo region from the prehistoric era to the 18th century.
Address Vanha raatihuoneentori, 06100 Porvoo
Phone +358 40 197 5557, +358 19 574 7500
Mon-Sat 10-16, Sun 11-16
Adults 8 €
Children (7-17) 1 €, children under 7 years free
Groups minimun 10 persons 6 €/person
Regular tours (45-60 minutes)
Weekdays 50 €, Saturdays and holidays 70 €
Short tours (30 minutes for groups with tight schedules)
Weekdays 30 €, Saturdays and holidays 50 €
Max. group size 30, at Holm House 25. Reservations at least one week in advance tel. +358 19 574 7500 (office), fax +358 19 582 283
Fee for opening outside normal hours:
Weekdays from 28 €
Holidays from 56 €